INFORMATION BLITZ: Paalala sa mga OFW-members ng PhilHealth: Ang PhilHealth membership and contribution ay MANDATORY ayon sa batas kaya magpamiyembro at magbayad ng kontribusyon bago umalis ng bansa. Seguraduhin ang proteksyon ng kalusugan ng iyong sarili at pamilya.

Friday, May 10, 2013

The man who lives out his passion

By Alma L. Tingcang

As a kid, he remembered that his parents brought him along everyday to the farm, made him sit on banana leaves and watched as they till the soil. This farm scenario may have greatly influenced him to achieve remarkable innovation in farming, earning for himself a very sizeable income, not the conventional way but through integrated natural organic farming.   

Passion for farming

Rogelio J. Saniel held several positions in the past, as an executive and consultant of the United Nations, among others, giving him opportunities to travel abroad. His professional career may have spelled great success, but when he retired at the age of 54, he finally decided to go back to his first love: farming.

Everything started out as a dream. But his passion was so intense that he slowly and eagerly watched as it became a reality in just a few years. 

“I started farming in 1998 when I retired from my job. My children were very much against it. But this did not deter me from farming. This was my passion, and passions die hard,” he recalls.

“Pagsugod nako ug farm, wa gyud koy ipamalit ug chemicals ug mga pesticides. Usa ka adlaw nakakita ko  ug dakong pundok sa uhot sa humay nga gi-thresher nagsugod na ug kalata. (When I started farming, I had no money to buy chemicals and pesticides. One day I saw a big pile of rice stalks which was starting to rot.)

I noticed that the plants nearby looked very healthy. Nakaingon ko, abono gyud ni. Tungod sa akong kalisod pagsugod ug uma, kato akong gihimong abono. (I said to myself, this is real fertilizer.) Because of financial difficulty when I started farming, I used that as fertilizer,” Saniel explained.
So he started planting fruits and used the rice stalks as fertilizer which yielded very good results. He continued to read magazines and books on agriculture and learned much, equipping him with enough information as an organic farmer.

Integrated Farming System

“I was used to have much money from my previous jobs, earning a very sizeable income for me and my family,” Saniel said.

So he asked himself, “Kung mag-uma ko, unsay assurance nga makahatag ni nako ug dakong income inig retire na nako? (If I go into farming, what assurance do I have that this will give me a big income?)

“I studied what I would plant first. So I embarked on planting fruit trees, durian, rambutan, lanzones, pomelo, among others. In 5 years time, they would be fruit-bearing already. Then I planted plenty of bananas, then corn, camote and other root crops. So, that sustained all my needs. While I was waiting for my fruits and bananas to harvest, I was earning much from other crops in my farm such as coconut and rubber,” Saniel explained.

He aimed to have a hectare earn an income equivalent to 5 hectares, so it will not be mono cropping. Instead, several varieties should be planted for it to earn much income, so that the farmer will not suffer financial difficulty. Saniel proved himself right.

After planting several varieties of fruits and crops, he went to livestock production - swine, goat, sheep, cattle and chicken. He started with only a few but now there are hundreds of them on his farm. His fishpond abounds with “tilapia” and he sells fingerlings by the thousands.

Winning the 1998 Gawad Saka

“Barely four years after I started farming in 1998, I won in 2002 an award as the Most Outstanding Farmer in the Philippines “Gawad Saka” Large Animal Category (Cattle) because that was my forte. I made my own formulation of the feeds and studied their nutritional components. I also attended seminars to complement what I have learned and to broaden my knowledge,” he clarified.

His piece of advice when you go into gardening is that you should not only think of family consumption but give focus on its business aspect. A good type of vermicast and compost is needed and you should not buy fertilizer, you should make your own. There is no reason for the new and younger breed of farmers not to succeed in farming.

Lately, his four-hectare rice field yielded an income of P500 thousand with no commercial fertilizers and insecticides used, just his own concoction which can be found in his book, complete with the ingredients and the formula.  After the rice, his next income would come from copra, then fruits, rubber, poultry, and the fishpond with tilapia. If a fingerling would cost P1, imagine how much earning would that be if he sells thousands of fingerlings?

He will soon embark on planting cacao under the coconuts and bananas since cacao thrives on shady areas.

Payback Time

After receiving his award, it was payback time. In gratefulness to God for the many blessings he received from his farm, he has trained more than 10,000 farmers in the province of Zamboanga del Sur, giving them free seminars on integrated natural organic farming. Everything was free including their food. For two years he did not sell his pigs and the harvest from his rice fields. He built his house as a training center for the farmers.

“Of the 10,000 that I trained, there are only about 500 who adopted organic farming, since they still practice the conventional method. I was the first who introduced organic farming in Zamboanga del Sur. I made vermicast. I went to Bacolod and Tagaytay and learned bio-composting. I studied everything and implemented it in my farm. I was excited because many of them accepted the technology.

Establishing the Business School

The Saniel Integrated Farm Technological Business School at Sandal, San Isidro, Mahayag is a TESDA-accredited school franchised by the Management Association of the Philippines, Meralco Foundation and Agricultural Training Institute (ATI). The school opened in July, 2012 but 4 batches have already graduated or a total of 60 students.

The most recent graduates were visited by Meralco Foundation, interviewed and given an examination after which 17 passed out of the 32 who took the exam. The 17 students qualified for a two-year diploma course in entrepreneurship and already left for Manila.

All students are scholars of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) and the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). Saniel is expecting 25 more scholars from Meralco Foundation this June funded by the ATI and the Filipino Development Foundation.

The school offers such courses as: Animal production - 860 hours; Agri-crop production – 616 hours; Horticulture -1,140 hours; Aquaculture – 1,276 hous; Natural Organic Farming Technology - 25 days; and  Rubber production -  800 hours.  

He produced a learning module entitled “Malahutayong Agrikultura sa Pamaagi nga Natural ug Organikong Teknolohiya” (Sustainable Agriculture Through Natural and Organic Technology). He is the only accredited organic farmer in Zamboanga del Sur.

Lastly, he called on farmers to practice integrated organic farming. “With the integrated farming system, you will be able to make one hectare produce a yield worth five hectares. You will have a sustainable income and save time, money and effort,” he encouraged.

Saniel says a farmer needs to love farming. Passion, courage and confidence that you can do it spells the way to succeed in farming. You must have faith in your capability and set your heart to it. But above all, he exhorts everyone to live a righteous life, a life of goodness with no vices which will destroy your body.

“But the most important thing is this, “Make God your partner in all your endeavors,” Saniel acknowledged. (PIA9)